The Gift of the Garden
by Nicholas Walker, Brand Ambassador for kathy ireland Designs – Jardin
December is a time of celebration and wonder and children all over the world are celebrating the holidays; it is called the festive season for good reason. In many corners of the globe the garden is slumbering, the plants and trees are taking a well deserved nap and the earth is hard and cold, while roots and seeds lie, sleeping waiting for spring to come. The holidays bring gifts for many kids and why not give them the gift of the garden, reminding them of joys when the growing season begins. Here are some ideas for gifts that celebrate the garden and they will encourage young minds to grow a love of the outdoors:
- Seeds are a wonderful gift for kids, stuffed in a stocking or given with a pot and a trowel; it is a fun, thoughtful, engaging way for a child to learn about growing things from start to finish.
- A miniature garden kit is a cool way to bring the outdoors indoors. Plants, soil, a container, stones, pebbles, shells and little watering can and a kid can make a super mini- garden that can be tended to and loved for years to come. It is an enduring and eco-friendly present that will be well loved by little hands.
- A book about gardening and how plants and trees grow can be a really wonderful introduction to gardening. There are wonderful gardening books written especially for children that will engage and delight and hopefully encourage an interest in the great outdoors.
- A gift certificate to a local botanic gardens or an arboretum is the perfect present for a future gardener. Even during the winter months there is plenty going on to enthrall and encourage budding botanists to get their hands in the dirt and grow things.
- All gardeners need equipment and kids love to have the right thing for the right job. Wrap some tools up and watch them dig, plant, weed and grow.
Planting the love of gardening in a child’s mind is a wonderful gift not only to them but to the earth as well. Who needs computer games when the great outdoors and all it splendor beckons little hands and hearts? So give the gift of the garden, after all, this is the season of growing love and goodwill all over the world. Happy holidays from all of us at Kathy Ireland Worldwide.